We’ve got a special treat for you today! Here’s a cute DIY to add a little festive decor to your Cinco De Mayo party…or any party for that matter!
- Birchwood letters…buy here!
- Colorful Tissue Paper
1. Gather your materials.
- You can purchase single letters, or purchase multiple letters to create a banner or a word…for example “yay” “congrats” or “happy birthday”. We have different fonts you can choose from, and all wood comes unfinished…perfect for crafting!
- Tissue paper can be found just about anywhere, we bought ours from the local dollar store.
2. Cut the tissue paper into 1-2 inch strips, depending on the size of your letters, and cut small sections into each of the strips to create the fringe. You don’t have to worry about being exact, we found that messier cuts added more texture to the fringe which made it look more full.
3. Starting at the bottom of your letter, glue the fringed strips into place one row at a time, slightly overlap each layer as you go. This gives you a more fluid look with the fringe layers closer together.
4. Glue the layers until you have covered the entire letter.
5. Once the whole letter is covered, tidy up the extra fringe around the edges using either scissors. We want to make sure you can really see the shape of your letter so we can tell what its supposed to say.
6. Allow time to dry (shouldn’t take too long), step back and admire your festive letters!
These letters are great for adding a little pizzazz to your taco bar, but they are also very versatile and can work for several occasions. By simply changing up the color scheme, you can use these as banners, backdrops for photo booths, weddings and birthday parties…anything really!